So, I’ve been stitching again. Shocked? Today I will share a little Pumpkin Embroidery.
Since it is officially fall, and officially chilly around here, I am in a pumpkin frame of mind. For a while now I have been thinking about stitching up a pumpkin…and falling a little flat. I mean the shape of a pumpkin isn’t very remarkable…and I already did this little felt pumpkin tag last year.
And then I had an idea–what if I just stitched the negative space–a sort of shadow of an outline–similar what I did in this watercolor portrait.
In the end it was a relatively easy project. I was able to complete it in a single nap time and now that I’s done I’m looking forward to adding it to my Halloween decor.
If you are interested in making your own here’s what you’ll need:
- Heavy White Canvas Material
- Burnt Orange Embroidery Thread
- Water Soluble Marker
- Wooden Embroidery Hoop
As a first step, sketch the shadow outline of your pumpkin. I searched on google images until I found a picture that I liked. Draw this onto your fabric using a water soluble marker. This way your lines will wash away after you are done stitching.
In case this is the first you’ve tried satin stitch, it is simply a stitch that stretches from one side of area to another, until an entire area is filled. When I got to the very narrow areas at the top I used a little back stitch. For the entire project I used 3 strands of thread at a time.
And there you have it–Pumpkin Embroidery. Are you loving pumpkins too? If so, a whole bunch of my bloggy friends have been loving on pumpkins too! Check out there other 11 fun/delicious/creative pumpkin projects!
1. Pumpkin Pie Spiced Monkey Bread – This Silly Girl’s Life
2. Coastal Anchor Pumpkin – Crafts by Courtney
3. Dollar Store Painted Pumpkins – All Things with Purpose
4. Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pancakes – Made to be a Momma
5. Terra Cotta Pumpkin Fall Decor – Seven Thirty Three
6. Pumpkin Embroidery – Do Small Things with Love
7. Cream Puff Pumpkins – Play, Party, Pin
8. Oatmeal Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies – Just Us Four
9. Dipped Pumpkin Decor – Sugar Bee Crafts
10. Pumpkin Cake with Milk Chocolate Icing – Handmade in the Heartland
11. Burlap Mini Garden Flag with Painted Pumpkins – A Glimpse Inside
Thanks for being here!