Hello! I am thrilled today to be teaming up with some of my best blogging buddies, a group we call #CreativeBuzz. Gosh darn it, we are ready for spring and we are celebrating this by driving into pastels. When I thought of pastels I thought flowers and decided to share a gathered felt flower tutorial great for broaches, embellishment or anything spring.
Here are the supplies you will need to make your own gathered felt flowers, sure to help you shake off winter glums.
- Spring Colored Felt (I used wool felt, as it lasts longer and doesn’t get bally)
- Needle and thread
- Template for the pedal shape (resized and cut in various sizes)
Although it isn’t super important, here is a template showing you the general shape of the pedals. Click the link below the image to download it. Use this as a general guide. For this project you will need to cut several pedals in various sizes, but all in this basic shape.
Once you a have the template, here’s what to do next.
- Cut out pedals. I cut out 4 or 5 different sizes (depending on how full I wanted the flower to be). The smallest size I use in these flowers is roughly 2″ wide. Cut out 4 in each size, roughly
- Next, in matching thread (I used green just so you could see it in the pictures) sew a loose basting stitch along the bottom of each pedal. As you stitch, try to keep the petals all facing the same way.
- Start with the smallest pedals and, using the same thread throughout, stitch all the way to the biggest pedal.
- When you are done with the stitching, pull the thread tight until all of the pedals are gathered.
- Starting with the smallest pedals, start wrapping the gathered pedals around and around. When it is all wrapped up, start stitching through the back until it is all secure.
- Finally, cut a small circle of felt and place it in the center of the flower (chances are you will have a bit of an imperfect center…at least I did). Take a button, you know, the kind with the loop of the bottom, not with the holes on top, and sew it on top of the flower and felt circle.
- As a final step add a bar pin to the back to make a brooch, or whatever you decide!
And there you have it. Cute, right? And really, not too involved of a project.
Hungry for some more Spring pastel creative ideas? Well, you are in luck! Check out what the other ladies from CreativeBuzz have been up to!
1. Modern Pastel Art from Tied Ribbon
2. Diy Dyed & Laceless Shoes from Made to be a Momma
3. Rolled Paper Bead Bracelet from Sugar Bee Crafts
4. Diy Decorative Fabric Wrapped Balls from This Silly Girl’s Life
5. Easter Egg Chair Back Covers from Handmade in the Heartland
6. Pastel Bookshelf Makeover from Carissa Miss
7. DIY Modern Art and Free Pillow Templates for Spring from All Things With Purpose
8. Spring is in the Air & Spring is Here Free Printable from 733Blog
9. Spring Oreo Truffles from Just Us Four
10. Pastel Confetti Trees from One Krieger Chick
11. Gathered Felt Flower Tutorial from Do Small Things with Love
Now go on, check out some of these other projects!