Embroidered Portrait with Felt Flowers

Here is a post I did over at Sugar Bee Crafts a few weeks ago.  I have this hanging in my baby’s room, and I just love love love it.  Hope you do too!

Today’s project is a simple portrait with felt flower accents.  Before we get started I wanted to say something about the embroidery in this project–I often have people comment that they like a project, but wouldn’t dare attempt it because they are intimidated by the hand-stitching.  I too am often intimidated by some embroidery, but this project is not challenging in the least.  It employs the most basic stitch–the back stitch–which is literally just stitching in a straight line.  Here’s a nice video tutorial for embroidering with a back stitch.  If you own a needle, you can complete this project!

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s the how-to.

Supplies:
Embroidery Hoop (I buy mine second hand, often times with other projects inside, and recycle them)
Cream colored linen fabric (mine is a thrifted napkin)
Quilting pen with disappearing ink
Needle
Dark Brown Embroidery Thread
Various Colors of Felt
Hot Glue Gun
Scissors

Step 1: Take linen and quilting pen.  Sketch your portrait.  I free handed mine, but it is also easy to trace an image on fabric.  Just bring it up on your computer, tape your fabric to your computer screen and trace!
Step 2: Using three threads, Stitch the bold outline of your portrait.  Use the back stitch for this step.
Step 3: Once again using the back stitch, but only one thread this time, stitch the detailed lines in your portrait.  For this step I added details to her hair.
Step 4: Create your felt flowers. A tutorial for creating the pink roses can be found here, and a tutorial for the yellow followers here.  The purple flowers are simply a flat shape.
Step 5: Pull out the hot glue gun.  First, glue leaves to the back of the flowers.  Then when satisfied with your arrangement, glue down the flowers.
Step 6: Finally, trim the excess material from around the embroidery hoop.

Thanks so much for being here!

Comments

1. kassondra taylor says:

this is so cute! and the flowers make a perfect touch.

2. AmieAnn says:

I just adore this! Such a beautiful embroidery and I love the felt flower addition.
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

3. Oh my gosh, Nancy, adorable!

4. kelly thompson says:

LOVE this~!

5. AMummys Life says:

That is so nice and simple!

6. So cute Nancy!!! I have to make one now!

7. So pretty, Nancy! I love how artistic your crafts are!

8. That is so cute! I did my first project with felt flowers and they turned out pretty good and made for cute decorations on a yarn wreath!

9. Theresa says:

So pretty! Found you via a hop. I hope you get a chance to drop by I have a weekly link up too. Come share sometime if you like. Visiting from DearCreatives.com

10. Ruth Cartwright says:
  11. Leslie McCain says:

Would love for you to showcase this at my link party for All Things Pretty at http://myfashionforwardblog.com

12. Melissa @ LoveBugLiving says:

Too cute! I know I did some embroidery as a kid. I may have to try another project now!
    Melissa

13. This is super cute! I’ve just dusted off my old embroidery supplies, and this looks like a simple but beautiful project for my daughter’s room. Maybe she can even help me with the portrait for something we can do together! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers!
    Buttons
    The Hot Toddies of Washington

14. Super cute. I love how this looks and I’m inspired to add 3-D elements to my embroidery. Check out some of my latest hoop projects

15. Val @ Home Made Modern says:

This is so beautifully done. Love it!

16. Ana Lopes says:

Super Adorable! Love all details!Thanks for sharing great tutorial!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

17. Heather Kaluf says:

This is absolutely adorable!!! The flowers add great detail to it. 🙂

I just wanted to invite you our new link party >> Circle of Faith, it is held every Sunday and today is the first link party! We have no rules and you can link up as many and whatever you want from your blog 🙂
    Hope to see you there!
    xoxo
    Heather

18. Jess @ Spool and Spoon says:

Just stopped by to admire this and the watercolor portrait. Not sure why you would say that you aren’t artistic because both are fabulous! I’m your newest follower!! xx Jess

19. Leigh Anne Wilkes says:

i fell in love with this on Pinterest! So darling.I’d love for you to share over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party. It opens ever Saturday morning. Leigh Anne

20. cURioSItaELlyA says:

How pretty this is….I would like to try it for myself as I love embroidery very much!
    Thanks for sharing.

21. I love this and found you on Sumo’s Sweet Stuff. I have been teaching myself embroidery and I am so intimidated thinking of trying anything other than text… but now I want to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial and the wonderful idea!

22. Laurie@SimplyCreatingHome says:

What a darling embroidery design! I’ve not spent much time with embroidery, but you make it look easy, fun, and pretty!

23. way too cute – thanks for sharing – I think this will be next on my list to try and embroider…

24. Amy of While Wearing Heels says:

This is BEAUTIFUL. The portrait is so simple but so perfect. The embellishment of the flowers is the sweetest touch. I absolutely love every detail.

25. the cape on the corner says:

super super cute. the flowers make it.

26. This is beautiful! It makes me want to pick up embroidery. The felt flowers are the perfect way to top it off! Great job.

I’d be thrilled if you’d link up at this week’s Off the Hook!

27. Peggy Hale says:

HI Nancy!

I absolutely love this! I would love for you to share at Transformed Tuesday. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/04/transformed-tuesday-33-features.html

I’m a new follower and I hope you have time to stop by.

Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

28. Jenn AJennuineLife says:

This is so pretty! I do a little embroidery, but nothing like this. I would love it if you dropped by and linked this up at Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life http://www.ajennuinelife.com/2013/04/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-15.html

29. LOVE this-so beautiful! I am not sure I trust in my drawing abilities enough to try it though-haha. I will just admire your work.

30. Visiting from Yesterday on Tuesday. I adore this! I am thinking something like this would look darling in my daughter’s room. Just gorgeous!
    Anne @ circusberry.wordpress.com

31. Two Shades of Pink says:

I absolutely love this so very very much! I would love to make one of each for my girls. So inspiring. So glad to pop in and meet you! 🙂

32. Natalie R says:

Nancy, this is so so sweet… just lovely!!! I’ve been doing a tiny bit of embroidery, mainly for stuffed animal faces, and it is not easy. You are quite talented!

Natalie

33. Amehlia Digital ® says:

Olá Nancy!
    Obrigada pela inspiração, eu amei!=}
    Que Deus a abençoe juntamente com sua família!
    Beijos, Vinni (Brasil)

Post com crédito para seu blog:

34. Love ..love…love ….love this!! I cant wait to try it! Thank you for sharing. 🙂

Trackbacks

1. […] Embroidered Portrait with Felt Flowers 14 Handmade Felt Finger Puppets Thanks again, […]

2. […] Embroidered Portrait with Felt Flowers from Do Small Things with Love […]

3. […] Embroidered portrait with felt flowers (Bonus points if you make a whole embroidered family!). […]

4. […] Party from Design Dining + Diapers Buffalo Chicken Dip – That’s What Che Said Embroidered Portrait with Felt Flowers – Do Small Things With Love Spring Wreath Tutorial – Ashley’s Dandelion Wishes […]