Mardi Gras Peacock Feather Headpiece

I love Mardi Gras.  When else is it acceptable to have party on a Tuesday?  AND, this is the first time in two years that I haven’t been pregnant on Mardi Gras (two different pregnancies, not only really long one, lol!).  Things are going to get crazy!

Well, honestly, I don’t think my Mardi Gras 2013 will be wild and crazy, in the conventional sense.  It will be wild and crazy in the domestic sense!  So, even though I won’t be painting the town red I thought it would be nice to have a festive hair piece–and nothing says Mardi Gras to me like peacock feathers.

Since I didn’t have any real peacock feathers laying around, I decided to make some out of felt (of course).

This is a super easy project.

Supplies:
Felt
Tulle
Sewing Machine
Ribbon

Step 1: cut out the feather.  Each feather has three parts.  The smallest (top) piece is felt.  The middle piece is tulle (I used a cream sparkly tulle), and the bottom largest piece is felt.

Step 2: Arrange and pin to a large piece of felt, as shown below.

Step 3: Head over to the sewing machine and sew one straight line down the center of each feather.  I pinned and sewed each line individually because they overlap a bit.

Step 4: Trim excess felt from the backing.

Step 5: Hand stitch a long piece of ribbon onto the back so that there is enough length to tie it around your head…and done!

I might not be in New Orleans this Mardi Gras, but wearing this I will be celebrating!

Thanks as always for being here,

Comments

1. Natasha Hoover says:

So cool! Man, I really need to get a new sewing machine.

2. Michelle @ Delicate Construction says:

That is so cute! You have a ton of great projects on your blog!! I am a new follower from the GFC blog hop! I hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle

3. c.w.frosting says:

So pretty & colorful! I’m not great at sewing but could imagine using fabric glue to make one. xo caroline @ c.w.frosting

4. Diana - FreeStyleMama says:

I love it! Cute enough for more than mardi gras!!

5. Laurie@SimplyCreatingHome says:

What a cute and creative project for Mardi Gras! Have fun celebrating!

6. Very clever & cute! Hope you have a fab MG.
    x Hilary

7. Jeni IGOTTHISMARTHA says:

Very cute!

8. Mandi Roach says:

Hi there! I have ventured over from the GFC blog hop. I’m enjoying this little peak into your world! XOXO Mandi Roach

9. Fluster Buster says:

I really need to pull out my sewing machine. Thanks for sharing at Fluster’s Creative Muster. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

10. Absolutely STUNNING!

Thanks so much for partying at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Can’t wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!!

11. Smart School House says:

Hello Friend! Guess what? THIS lovely post will be featured at Smart School House for Whimsy Wednesday! The new party and your feature will go live later today. See you soon!

Kelly from Smart School House
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse
    Google+https://plus.google.com/u/0/111902135882668872474/posts

12. Keep working ,great job!

Trackbacks

1. […] Bookends {Mellywood’s Mansion} Mardi Gras Peacock Feather Headpiece {Do Small Things With Love} Candy Bar Sign {My Honey Bunch} Amaretto Fudge {Crazy for Crust} 100 Ways to Washi {A Night Owl} […]

2. […] Gras Bead Topiaries Crafts n’ Coffee| Beaded Mardi Gras Wreath Do Small Things With Love | Peacock Feather Headband Craft Dictator | Keep Calm Party On Printable Craft Dictator | Sugar Skull […]