Penguin Year Marker {with free template}

My family is at a really fun stage where things are changing quickly.  Just two and a half years ago my husband and I got married…and now we have two children.  Makes my head spin!  I am so grateful, and a little overwhelmed sometimes!  We have had two Christmases in a row where we had the joy of celebrating a baby’s first Christmas…and if my husband gets his way, we’ll be doing it again next year…but I don’t think he’ll get his way!  Really though, I want as big a family as I can get.  Maybe it’s just because I have the sweetest little baby girl right now, but I want to have tons of babies!

So, I thought it would be fun to stitch up a cute reminder of what our family looked like in 2012.  We hope to have many more children, and if I continue to stitch up various reminders, it will be a fun way to watch our family grow.  At first I was planning on using this as a ornament, but it never got on the tree, and I now plan on leaving it out after I get all the Christmas stuff packed up.

Here is a glimps of our penguin family

Little Boy
Daddy
Mommy
Little Girl
I’m really happy with how my little penguin family turned out.  I mean really, what’s cuter than a penguin?!?  These are easy to whip up and fun to add little embellishments to.  I’m excited to make another animal-themed felt family next year!
Here is the template.  I know, it’s not pretty, but it will easily aid you in making this simple project.

A simple how to:
1. Cut out two body pieces, two wings, and a front piece
2. Sew eyes and beak onto front piece.
3. With a running stitch, sew front piece onto a body piece.
4. Add embellishments (bow tie, scarf, etc)
5. Pin the wings in place and then sew front and back body pieces together, attaching the wings as you go.
6. Fill with batting and stitch up opening.
7. If desired, add a string or ribbon for hanging.

That’s it!

As always, thanks for being here!
Nancy If it’s your first time visiting Small Things, I’d love for you to connect with me in some way!

Comments

1. They are adorable! :-)

BiTi
    Pret-a-vivre.com
    (ready to waltz)

2. Diana - FreeStyleMama says:

Those are so adorable! Must pin! I would love you to come join my Pin Me Linky Party that starts Friday morning at 8am CST.

3. very cute!!

4. Adorables !
    Anna

5. Just adorable! Please share your projects at http://www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other craft divas are up to.

6. AMummys Life says:

Love, love, love the idea of marking the growth of your family each year with a little crafts like this!

7. These are adorable and look easy enough to make. Thanks!

8. Oh, my goodness, these are precious!!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

9. Polkadot-pretties says:

Great project !

I would love you to come and share it at my Craft, Create & Inspire Linky party

Hope to see you there:)

Claire@ Polkadot pretties x

10. These sweet little penguins are adorable! Thanks for sharing them at the {what’s shakin’} link party!!

11. They’re so cute! I would love if you would share on Inspired Weekends!

Katie @ Horrific Knits

12. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says:

These are adorable! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

13. So cute! Visiting from Tip me Tuesday.
    Kelly at Little Wonders’ Days

14. These are adorable! Must make some of these to hang in our Christmas tree :) Thanx for sharing!

15. These are so cute! I totally just pinned these so I can find them later when I have my felt box out. :)

- Jocelyn @ jocelynandjason.blogspot.com

16. OnceUpona Sew says:

These are sweet! Thanks for sharing today
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

17. Jessi @ Practically Functional says:

These are so cute, what a fun idea! I just wanted to let you know I featured this today on my blog! You can check it out and grab a Featured button here: The Fun In Functional link party

18. Jennifer Dawn Oliver Shelton says:

These are precious! I’d love it if you stopped by my weekly link party and shared this. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-24.html

19. I love this! I found some penguin ornaments on Etsy but longed to learn how to make them myself. I just found this year’s ornament project! Thanks! Found you through the link up…I look forward to reading more!

20. Jenn AJennuineLife says:

What a great project that could be a stash buster! I would love for you to come link up at my weekly linky party Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. I’m working with a couple of bigger bloggers to feature great projects, so I’m hoping to bring fabulous exposure for participants! http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-2.html

21. Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com says:

You combined two of my favs–penguins and felt. Thanks for the free pattern! What a cute little family. I’m so happy that you visited and linked up at One Creative Weekend at OneCreativeMommy.com. The next party starts tonight at 8:00 PM MST. I hope you’ll be back.

22. kim demarsh says:

Love these!Adorable idea! Can’t wait to make some! Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from Skip to my Lou where I shared my Free Stitchwerx Designs Neck Warmer Sewing Pattern.

23. oh my goodness these are cute! so glad you shared them at my link party, definitely pinning

24. The penguins are adorable Nancy!!… What a lovely idea… simply lovely. I linked to you here…http://simplicity-and-ease.blogspot.in/2014/02/felt-penguin.html

Trackbacks