Denim and Felt Floral Hoop

Happy (almost) Friday.  It has been a good but a long week here.  Not only is it bone-chillingly cold (I live in Minnesota and it is so cold here that they cancelled school—and remember that’s in Minnesota where we are used to the cold.  -40 wind chill!) but the week has also been long because my husband has been traveling for work all week, to balmy California.  I am excited for him to return tomorrow!

But in the meantime I have a little project for you that is super cheap to make and I think turned out really nice.  This denim and felt hoop was inspired by this project that has been sitting on my Pinterest board for awhile now.  I changed the color and added the denim.  I also figured out how to make the flowers.  Here is a tutorial:

Simple felt flower How To:

Supplies: Felt, Needle and matching thread.

1. Cut out 5 identical pedals.  Above you can see I have the pedals cut out for several flowers, each a differnt size.  I experimented with narrow pedals and plump pedals and liked the variety it gave my completed flowers.

2. Stitch through the base of each pedal, up one side and down the other.  As you stitch make sure you are stitching on the same side of each pedal (as shown above) by laying out the pedals as you stitch through them.

3. Once you stitch through each pedal, stitch through the first pedal again.

4. With the pedals flat on the table, pull the thread tight until the pedals are gathered tight at the center, each pedal folded once in the middle.  Stitch through the back of the flower several times to secure and tie off the thread.

Then I used a pair of jeans from the rag pile for the background of the hoop and attached the completed flowers with hot glue.

I really love how it turned out…  It stinks having a husband that travels for work, but in the evening when the kids are in bed a get a little bit more crafting done!

Thanks, as always, for being here!

Comments

1. Irfan Butt says:
  2. That is absolutely beautiful!!! I love this! Will for sure pin it in the hopes that I actually do it one day! :)

3. I’m pinning this because I didn’t know how to make these flowers. This is a great tutorial. Thanks so much!

~Emily

4. Babies, Buttons and Bows says:

Love this! So simple yet looks amazing :) My to do list just keeps growing!
    Amy x

babiesbuttonsandbows.blogspot.com

5. Dianna Leonard says:

very pretty! You make such wonderful projects with felt!

Dianna

6. Linda Bouffard says:

isn’t this darling. I haven’t seen any flowers like this. Very nice and original. Take care, Linda

7. This is gorgeous – I love your petal details.

Thanks for linking up!

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

8. That’s just as cute as can be!

9. Natasha Hoover says:

Very cute!

10. Melissa O says:

This is an adorable project and a great way to showcase some fabric flowers. Nice job!

Missy Inspired

11. A to Zebra Celebrations says:

Beautiful job!!! First time visiting your blog. I hope you stop by and link your crafts- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/link-party-5.html
    Nancy

12. Judy Whatilivefor says:

I love it! I can’t wait to make my own.

13. I LOVE this project!! It’s so simple and cute!! Thanks for sharing with us! :)

14. Megan Maguire says:

Hi, don’t forget as part of the ‘I Love My Post’ blog hop, you have to follow all the hosts and co-hosts(including me) to take part :)

xo

15. Very cute!

16. Oh, this is a sweet project. Those flowers would look on anything, canvas, art journals… pinning!

17. So lovely! I’ll have to keep this in mind when I start working on my craft room/office Gallery wall :)

18. Ana Lopes says:

So sweet! Love the colors too! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

19. Shannon Conner says:

What a great project! I’m pinning it!

Visiting through Keep it Simple,

Shannon
    fixingforfriday.blogspot.com

20. Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum says:

I have an abundance of denim at my house that has been waiting for just this project! Thanks for sharing! I am visiting from Sugar Bee!

21. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says:

This is super cute. I wonder if you could make a “No sew” version…I can’t even sew things this basic :(. Thanks for sharing at the Pinterest Challenge.

22. Peggy Hale says:

This is so cute! I love the colors. You should share at Transformed Tuesday I know my readers would love to see. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/02/transformed-tuesday-24-features.html
    Hope you can stop by. I’m a new follower. Hugs, Peggy

23. the cape on the corner says:

this is so cute, and it’s getting me in the mood for spring!

24. This is so so so cute! I’ve been looking for ways to use some old jeans and this is just perfect :)

I would love it if you would link up at Martha Mondays, open every Monday morning through Wednesday night!

~Amanda

25. visiting from southern lovely. This is BEAUTIFUL and caught my eye. What a great job!

26. Becca Acker says:

Very cute! I really like the color combination. :)

ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

27. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts – you were featured today!
    –Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

28. This is so pretty, Nancy! I love felt flowers. They’re so beautiful and you can use such a variety of colors! I know how it feels to have hubby traveling, mine travels out of the country frequently. Last week it was Germany and next month it’s China. Ugh. Enjoy your evening craft time! I’m your newest follower. :)

Visiting from Southern Lovely.

~Emily

29. Terrific project! New follower thru Two Yellow Birds party ;-)

30. M.J. Powell says:

What a fun project. We just found your blog!

We are hosting a link party that is live today. We would like to invite you to link up and share this with our readers.

Thanks!

The Busy Bee’s,
    Myrna and Joye.

31. Katie @ Creatively Living says:

So cool! I’m pinning this to the Monday Funday pin board!

32. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do says:

Great color combo – the yellow & white really pop against the denim. Thanks for linking this to the Pinterest Challenge:)

33. Tina Pippo says:

Wonderful tutorial! The colour combination is amazing!
    Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #21 :)
    Have a great week!!

34. So cute!! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your great ebroidery hoop!!! Hope you’ll stop by often!!
    Smiles!!
    Jami

35. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon says:

Love this! featured you tonight at Monday Funday! ;0

36. Gorgeous! Just bought a bunch of embroidery hoops and was only planning to fill them with fun fabric…now, you’ve got my gears turning about adding felt flowers to them, too. Love it!

37. Sam @ Thrive 360 Living says:

Love this so much. I just made an embroidery hoop flower last week. I’ve got to try out your version because it would be a beautiful addition to my inspiration wall where my other one is.

Trackbacks

1. […] creating the pink roses can be found here, and a tutorial for the yellow followers here.  The purple flowers are simply a flat shape. Step 5: Pull out the hot glue gun.  First, glue […]

2. […] 4.  Next, create and add the flower.  A full tutorial for making this 5 leaf flower can be found here. […]

3. […] And, if you are interested in a few more fun felt projects, check out these: Denim and Felt Floral Hoop Art Handmade Felt Finger Puppets Felt Name Book for […]