Last week I had the honor of being a guest blogger over at Happy Hour Projects. Here is the post I shared over there. Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Felt finger puppets are easy to make and, once you get the hang of it, can easily be made in about 20 minutes. I (like usual) got a little carried away and have 17 different finger puppets in my collection already! There really is no limit to the characters that you can transform into felty-finger-puppety-fun!
- Mulit-colored felt
- Multi-colored embroidery thread and needle
- (optional) Simple cartoon images of the characters you are creating. This will help you figure out the simplified features to give you puppets.
1. Using your finger, create a “pattern” for the body of your puppets, so they are all about the same size. Draw a line around your finger with about 1cm on all sides. Stop just below your second knuckle.
2. Cut out the various pieces need, including two body pieces. Have fun here! Finger puppets are not meant to be perfect or anatomically correct. Find a helpful cartoon image as a guide, if needed, and cut away!
3. Sew on embellishments to wings/arms or body. For this stage I used mainly a whip stitch.
4. Add eyes and mouth. The mouth is a backstitch. I gave all of my puppets a bit of a smirk.
5. Pin all of the pieces in place, placing a body piece on the top and bottom. Once pinned, do a blanket stitch around the exterior using matching thread. Use a running stitch in places where arms/wings will not allow a blanket stitch.
6. Done! Dream up a story, and it’s playtime!
Just to get your creative juices flowing, here are all of the puppets currently in my collection:
Bumble Bee, Chicken, Kitty
Pink Bunny, Tiger, Cow
Monkey, Pig, Elephant
Moose, Penguin, Octopus
Lion, Frog, Blue Bird
Two Butterfly Buddies
Thank you so much for allowing me to share. Thanks again to Adrianne. I hope you have many happy hours of project creation!
If it’s your first time visiting Small Things, I’d love for you to connect with me in some way!
Sign up and receive 26 Catholic Coloring Pages. Great for teaching the ABC's of the faith!